The newspaper can trace its origins back to the founding of the weekly Tacoma Ledger by R. F. Radebaugh in 1880. The next year, H. C. Patrick founded The News, another weekly. Both papers became dailies in 1883. In 1898, Radebaugh and Patrick sold their papers to S. A. Perkins. Radebaugh re-entered the market in 1907 with the debut of the Tacoma Tribune. He exited five years later with the sale of the Tribune to Frank S. and Elbert H. Baker. The Bakers then purchased The News and the Tacoma Ledger in 1918, and all three papers were combined into the Tacoma News Tribune and Ledger.